Zombie[X]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HoMe oF ThE UnDeaDzZz

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesLag problems Zombiebtn1RegisterLog in

Lag problems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tiberius
Zombie[X]

Lag problems Empty
PostSubject: Lag problems   Lag problems I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 12:33 pm

My lag on the UV server is really starting to make playing there a lot less fun. I hope someone can help me resolve the issue. I'll try to explain things as best I can.

First off let me say that I am not a PC tech and do not know much about computers. But I have been playing Freelancer online ever since FL was new.

The nature of my problems:
No matter how many players are on the server, my lag is the same.
Whenever a player joins the server, dies, or leaves the server, my lag spikes and I see the "Red" lag indicator.
I see the "Red" and "Yellow" lag indicators at random times.
Even when docked and selling commodities or equipment I get lag. I know this because at times it will take a few seconds after selling something before I hear the "Cha-Ching" and see the credits added to my total.

Facts about my PC and such:
I recently bought a new PC that is way faster than my old machine.
Running Win7 OS. Old PC was WinXP.
New PC has AMD Athlon II X2 220 Dual Core Processor. Old PC was Celeron D single core.
New PC has NVidia GeForce 6150SE 256mb graphics. Old PC was 6200 OC 128mb.
New PC 500gb H-Drive. Old was 127gb.
New PC has 2gb DDR3 memory. Old was 756mb DDR2.
So as you can see, the new PC is much faster....in theory.
My Firewall is setup to allow all connections by Freelancer.
Freelancer is running with Admin rights as is FLMM.
I am using FLMM 1.3.
The UV mod is the only mod I use and is also the only server that I play on.

I am using the same internet connection that I have been using for about 3 years now. It is a wireless (Verizon) modem that connects to my PC via USB. And my connection speed and ping are the same as they were with my old PC. My normal ping on the UV server is 120-160.

I do know from past experience that anytime there is a heavy draw on the server, a slower connection will lag before a fast connection will. In other words, slow connections notice the server draw much more so than fast connections do. Or so I've been told. I tend to believe that because back in the early days of Freelancer, before FLAC was created, I was on dialup 56k. DSL was relatively new but a lot of players were using DSL and were also using the Speed Mod. I was always able to detect when a player was using a speed mod because my lag would spike as soon as they launched from a base or planet.....because of this I was a good "Server Cop" and helped a lot of Server admins detect cheaters.

My lag seems to have gotten worse, even though my ping is the same, ever since I had Soupman transfer my chars to this machine's IP. Not sure if that is part of the problem or not, but thought I should mention it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

Back to top Go down
Rob Zombie[X]
Admin
Rob Zombie[X]

Lag problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lag problems   Lag problems I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:46 pm

hmmmm

gonna have to think on that one a bit
hopefully we can help ya out bro

Back to top Go down
MAYKID_Zombie[X]
Zombie[X]
MAYKID_Zombie[X]

Lag problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lag problems   Lag problems I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Have you tried calling your service to see if their is a problem in your area about anything? Because that could be the problem....
But with my Laptop I shut down every firewall thing on here and turned off all the Microsoft security because I hate it, and it kind of hates online games. But that's my opinion. So you could try that.....

See if that helps any o_O
Back to top Go down
Tiberius
Zombie[X]

Lag problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lag problems   Lag problems I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I think I may have a solution now. T-Bag Jones suggested that I try a programm called Game Booster. So I found it and DL'ed it and got it installed. It shuts down any un-needed processes that are running in the background while you play. It shut down 29 processes and seemed to help A LOT! Anthrax and I were on the UV server last night and we did some PvP to test it out and see if my lag was any better and it surely was. I didn't have any lag while we PvP'ed or when other players would join, leave or die on the server. So far so good!
But I'm always open to any other suggestions that you guys may have!
Thanks for the replies so far......I'll try to keep you updated on the situation! cheers
Back to top Go down
Rob Zombie[X]
Admin
Rob Zombie[X]

Lag problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lag problems   Lag problems I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 6:56 pm

AwEsOmENeZz!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lag problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lag problems   Lag problems I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lag problems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zombie[X] :: WeLcOmEzZz :: Tech IssueZz-
Jump to: